Post by davidbeegah on Nov 25, 2021 14:44:32 GMT -5
The brain that wouldn’t die, Hercules versus the Moon Men and now Escape 2000
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q
Post by Mighty Jack on Dec 1, 2021 21:57:46 GMT -5
Hmm, is it just me, or did Emily come off a bit too practiced and plastic? One of the things I enjoyed about her in the live show and livestreams was she was natural, real, but here (during T-day) it's like she was in game show host mode... and I know, technically they "are" hosts, but Joel and Mike just felt like regular Joes, rather than actors doing a role. (Jonah can be a little stiff on camera, a bit self-aware).
Hate to diss someone I've dug in the past, but I hope she isn't like that in her episodes.
^^^^^ The whole new era can feel a little too plastic and polished. All a little too self aware. Except for the live show I saw. Don't know why they can't capture that feel for the show as a whole when they are making it.
Hey, new cast: Just pretend you're doing it live. Stop with the wink-wink-we're-a-new-version-of-this-cult-classic-ain't-it-neat spiel.
"I want to decide who lives and who dies." --- Crow T. Robot
I just watched the skits and yeah, bleh. the whole meta joke about it being pre-recorded. They just don't get it do they. the whole appeal of the original show was that it was a guy trapped in space watching cheesy movies with you, along with you. from the downbeat hosting to the mostly one-take skits.
NuMST3K literally feels like some +network has launched a new spiritually dead reboot. I mean, I'm suprised they had time in there for any joke/skits at all between all the shilling for the new season. and the one joke skit about playing themselves as parts. Its more meta crap about the changing cast. ugh.
If you look at the Turkey Day segments from Night of the Bloodbeast, it's an awesome fun warm real feeling string of bits that other than the invite of previous movie characters has nary a meta joke to be heard. I mean the skit in the middle where pearl bumps into 'art' like their old friends from other lives. classic.
Post by monkeypretzel on Dec 2, 2021 21:46:16 GMT -5
MST3K trying to be meta and self-aware is a failure. It's not meant to be beyond an occasional wink here and there, played as a straight joke. ("Hey, that looks like the logo!" "You're not supposed to know about that!") I mean, you're supposed to feel like you're watching a cheesy movie with some friends who are making wisecracks about it. right? That's the whole point. Being told over and over again by those "friends" that they're Acting and Isn't It All So Ironic, ha ha ha good thing you're in on the joke too, right audience? just doesn't work for me. I feel like I'm being talked down to as a viewer while at the same time everything has to be spelled out for me lest I not realize that THAT was a joke.
I know that we're not supposed to take these Turkey Day segments as an indication of what the actual episodes will be like if we don't like them (if we do like them, well, then it's a preview of how great the new season will be!), but how can you not when they were written and made by the same people on the same stage with the same equipment at the same time as the Emily episodes?
The ever changing voices of tom and crow has gotten to me. I can no longer see them as the characters they were. Maybe they should have brought in new bots. I dunno, I don't feel that would have worked either, but this didn't work.
I know it's a meme to hate on Servo and Crow changing voices, but they really are not good now. They barely sound different from each other. At least with Hampton and Baron, you could tell them apart. And they actually fit their characters well. Crow sounded mischievous and Servo sounds like a lady's man. Now it's just... guy A and guy B. I really don't want to be so negative though before the actual new episodes are released. For all I know, they could be great. I'm just not impressed with the little taste we've gotten of the new riffers.
1) the greenscreen setup looks like ass in the turkey day segments. If that is how Season 13 looks then the SOL will be the worst it's ever looked(with the exception of Season 1 on CC which is so bad it's mindblowing).
2) the turkey day segments weren't funny. They were engaging in the sense of seeing Jonah and Emily mingle a bit.. but overall a big shrug.
3) the turkey day segments have not been funny or good since the CC era.. so I don't really care.
4) the live show with emily and her crew was top tier awesome. good indicator that the core of the show (the movie riffing) will be good/great in season 13. I was very skeptical of the new cast and even did not go to the previous tour with Joel and them. But they delivered in a big way with a 'cast chemistry' that even previous live tours didn't have IMO. grant was not good as Crow and Tim Ryder was just ok. I felt real chemistry with the new crew.
5) I agree that Emily's performance in the turkey day segments was not great. It felt like early Mike era.. just a character and almost trying too hard to 'host' and lacking personality and believability. Her riffing in the live show was great and the host segments were good.. but her persona suffers from that same problem there too. Maybe she will never feel like Joel and Jonah and never quite come across as 'not a character'.. Mike eventually made it work cause he is a great character actor and eventually built a real relationship with the bots that felt authentic.. took a long time though. She isn't a great character actor like Mike Nelson is so I really hope she loosens up and settles into being herself on the SOL cause I am not sure she is going to get as much time as Mike got to build the relationship with the bots to give the show some emotional weight.
6) I completely understand folks frustration with the ever changing voices.. I am frustrated by it too but more because of using Grant and Tim during the live shows instead of hampton and baron.. that being said if we are going to have another host I am glad it's with her own crew and Nate and Adam have definitely sold me that they are up to the challenge.
7) I was wrong about sending the new crew out on a live tour without having any episodes recorded first.. the energy in the theater was great and I think Joel might have been right to have a reliable 'live tour' cast that signed up for that as their primary contribution.. It's clear that Jonah, hampton, and baron are never going to be a reliable live tour crew.
8) I still want them to ditch live tours and do recorded live events broadcasts into theaters like rifftrax does.. Hopefully we get there eventually.
and finally.. not sure what everyone is complaining about with the meta humor. to me it's not new.. even thinking back to the robot roll call with Bill corbett... "I'm different".. there was always a winking to it 'just being a show' to me it's just cause the turkey day segments weren't funny that it becomes a problem.